Are you scoring low in your pronunciation section of PTE Practice Test ScoreCard or PTE Academic ScoreCard? Many students are not sure why this happens. Especially when they are confident that they were speaking was alright. Let's discuss why the low score in this skill set might happen and what you need to do improve it.
How Is Pronunciation Scored?
To know how to improve in a particular area, we must study how the score calculation occurs. There are three questions on the basis which your score are calculated:
|Part I Speaking & Writing||Read Aloud|
|Answer Short Question|
You must double check the skill in these questions to get the best of it. PTE says pronunciation is evaluated by checking if the test taker has used correct language. It should be with respect to word order and form. Individually, pronunciation scoring happens on 0-5 which mainly means that if you:
The Different Scores
- 5: Native-Produce all words in a manner that's easily understandable. Placing stress correctly in all words. Sentence-level stress is fully appropriate.
- 4: Advanced Pronounce words clearly. A few minor errors do not affect the sentence. You may have spoken a few consonants or consonant sequences incorrectly.
- 3: Good Pronouncing words correctly at a general level. Some errors can make a few words unclear. A few errors in certain contexts may be regularly not correct.
- 2: Intermediate Mispronouncing words consistently in a non- native like manner. At least 2/3 of speech is not understandable. Leaving out some consonants regularly. Placing stress incorrectly on some words.
- 1: Intrusive Mispronouncing many words, resulting in a strong foreign accent. Listeners may have difficulty understanding about 1/3 of the words. Not placing stress correctly or missing.
- 0 Non-English Pronunciation seems completely different from what it should be. Many words are not spoken correctly. Listeners may find more than 1/2 of the speech difficult to understand.
These individual marks eventually contribute to the Pronunciation Score Under Enabling Skills on a scale of 10-90.
What Is Pronunciation?
Production of speech sounds in a way that is easily understandable to most regular speakers of the language. Regional or national varieties of English pronunciation are considered correct to some degree. They should be easily understandable to most regular speakers of the language.
You have looked at how you scored. It's time you analyze your performance. If it's a PTE Practice Tests, then analyzing is really easy. Just login to your account. Click 'Review' on the specific mock tests which sent in for evaluation. You can find your submitted answers. Look if your submitted answer has:
- Are you rushing the words you speak?
- Did you pronounce everything clearly?
- Were you correctly stressing the right words?
- How many errors are taking place overall?
The various components can be checked but you need to determine what is causing the low score. We provide Expert Suggestions with our evaluation to help you out on the same.
Improve Your PTE Pronunciation Scores
First, you need to determine what's the issue with your skill. Then you can easily work on improvement. We have curated a list of things you can try to improve your score:
- Record Yourself and compare with the correct pronunciation.
- Not down the words, you find difficult to pronounce. Practice them.
- Challenge yourself with tougher words.
- Use app or google correct pronunciation.
- Practice with PTE Mock Tests.
- Take feedback for better comparison.